August 25, 2018

Project introduction

This is the blog for my entry into RetroChallenge 2018/09.   Since I'll have a thing for devices built out of discrete transistors I'll attempt to make a decoder/viewer for the old Kansas City Standard tapes that once was the standard for storing data and programs on regular cassette tapes.

I've already made the design of it and ran simulations in LTspice two years ago, but now I'll try to actually build one out of real parts.

I guess I'll have to settle for audio files played from my phone instead of using a real tape recorder. But while browsing a local thrift shop I actually found a late 70's-style cassette tape recorder that seems to be in good shape mechanically, but the single IC in it gets hot and there's no sound. So I guess it could be a mini sub-project to get it working as well ;-)

It will be my first real hobby project for almost three years since I back then had to box up my home-lab and put in storage. It is still in storage in Malaysia at the other side of the world, but I got a new lab here in my new home in Sweden. It's smaller and got less, but much nicer,  equipment so I'm rearing to go!  (I'm blessed to have a wife allowing me to setup a lab in the living room - but I have to keep it clean and non-messy. ^__^ )

The lab wall - I'm still waiting for the microscope

No comments:

Post a Comment